15 March 2014

Decisions

Originally, I was going to make my trench coat out of a red stretch cotton sateen.  But since I found this super nice and soft navy cotton twill, I am having second thoughts.


I really like the red stretch cotton sateen, but I have concerns about sewing it.  The fabric is really stretchy and a bit heavy.  This pattern has lots of curves and topstitching - elements that may not go well with a stretch fabric.  I made a skirt out of stretch cotton sateen and that turned out well.  A whole coat?  Um...

The lining is a red, white, beige, and black plaid silk broadcloth.  It's a great fabric and is perfect for this project.

On the fitting front, I made a few alterations and a muslin.  So far, everything fits pretty well.  I'll talk about that in the next post.

What are your plans?

L

8 comments:

  1. I like the red color a little better--it's gorgeous. FWIW, my UFO trench is out of a stretch cotton twill, and I didn't have an issue with the stretch factor, but it's also not a super stretchy twill, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, that's good to know. I've gone back to re-reading the reviews of M5525 and found that a lot of people used a stretch woven of some sort.

      Delete
  2. I also like the red, I love it. I am planing to make a Patrones trench 309/25 . I really hope to be able to keep your timeline :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really interested in seeing your Patrones trench. I have yet to make a pattern from this magazine and would love to know how they fit. Do share!

      Delete
  3. I am deciding between a taupe wool, a beige cotton twill, and a lovely red rain coating--the only waterproof option and the most cheerful. This weekend I plan to work on fitting the Robson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the red but I would use the blue because it is more versatile for a coat. The stretch cotton sateen would look amazing as a fitted dress.
    I have my pattern (Vogue 8884) and I have the lining fabric - a busy orange I picked up last year - but, while I purchased an outer fabric at the time, it got redirected into a different project. I made a muslin last summer and abandoned it. So I just have to go fabric shopping for a nice cotton twill. Then I will be on my way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. I didn't think about using the stretch cotton sateen for a dress. Hmm... Fabric Mart is having a sale on twills through Wednesday.

      Delete